This 3-hour online course will emphasize a medical perspective using the biopsychosocial model of health and illness. Participants will learn methods and techniques to assess and intervene with psychosexual problems experienced by patients and couples around health issues in general, and sexual health issues specifically. They will also become familiar with the operating constructs of medical culture, and the critical elements involved in a successful collaborative relationship with a medical provider. Given the number of physicians who refer to NWIOI, and who treat complex pelvic pain disorders, this course is a requirement to becoming a CIIP. (Exception - not required if you have training in medical family therapy.)
Objectives - You will learn:
- The number 1 reason MD’s hate to refer to psychotherapists
- The number 1 task you can do to guarantee you will get return referrals from doctors
- Why doctors can act so bossy about patients and how you can soften them
- When to call a doctor about a client and why
- How and when to talk to a doctor – what to say and what not to say
- How and when to craft a note to a doctor – what to say and what not to say
- How to easily market to physician groups to up the chance of getting those first referrals
You will have access to the course within 24 hours.
3 AASECT CEU available
Recommended reading: Medical Family Therapy and Integrated Care - 2nd Edition by Susan McDaniel, et al.